3J8A0339.jpeg

Swimmers get prepared to dive into the water.

Two members of JMU swimming & diving earned CAA honors this week. Junior swimmer Bonnie Zhang racked up her second-consecutive CAA Swimmer of the Week award and junior diver Hope Byrum got her first Diver of the Week honor this season.

Zhang broke two pool records last week. On Thursday, against Duquesne, Zhang swam a 50.15 in the 100-meter freestyle. On Saturday, against Liberty, Zhang broke recorded a 1:49.44 in the 200-meter freestyle. Zhang got first place in both of these events along with being a member of the 200-meter freestyle relay team that finished at 1:34.01 against Duquesne.

Byrum had two first-place finishes this weekend, as well as three NCAA qualifying marks. Against Duquesne on Thursday, Byrum came in first in the 1-meter dive with a score of 283.95, while also placing fourth in the 3-meter dive with a score of 255.76. Her second first-place result came Saturday in the 3-meter dive against Liberty where Byrum scored 285.90. She also got second place in her 1-meter dive against Liberty scoring a 274.20.

JMU will be back in action Nov. 3-4 in the CAA POD Meet in Newark, Delaware. The Dukes will take on Delaware, UNCW and William & Mary in the meet.

Contact The Breeze Sports at breezesports@gmail.com. For more swim & dive coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.