Tilbe Yaglioglu (copy)

JMU volleyball fell to Hofstra in the CAA final. The Dukes finish 22-7 (13-3 CAA).

On Sunday, the Hofstra Pride defeated JMU 24-26, 25-20, 25-11, 21-25, 15-10 in five sets. With the win, Hofstra walked away with the CAA title.

Junior outside hitter Laura Masciullo and senior middle blocker Michela Rucli led the Pride with a pair of dominant performances. Masciullo recorded a staggering 25 kills and 10 errors, while Rucli tallied 20 kills with only five errors. Outside of Masciullo, Hofstra’s attacking players had efficient performances, and junior setter Luisa Sydlik recorded 68 assists – 30 more than the next highest player.

For the Dukes, junior outside hitter Briley Brind’Amour led the team with 15 kills and recorded only one error. Junior middle blocker M’Kaela White scored 12 kills with only two errors, and – in the final moments of the match – went on a 2-0 run including a kill and a block visibly trying to will her team toward victory before the final point. Junior libero Sarah Driscoll and freshman defensive specialist Savannah Marshall both lead all players with 17 digs.

With this win, the Pride prevented the Dukes from earning their third consecutive championship and won their first CAA title in four years. While Hofstra competes in the NCAA national tournament, JMU’s season has reached its end.

Contact the Breeze sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more volleyball coverage, follow the Breeze sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.