Diamond Meet

Runners Madeleine McCarty and Erica Jackson run in the Father Diamond Invitational last season.

The Dukes continue their hot start to the season with a strong performance at the Keydet Invitational over the weekend, as all three relay teams qualified for the ECAC Championship.

On the first day of the meet, the DMR team of sophomore Averi Witt, junior Jordan Burgeois, freshman Sinead Sargeant and senior Erica Jackson placed first with a qualifying time of 11:58.95. In addition, JMU garnered another qualifying time in the 4x800m relay — the first time the Dukes have participated in the relay this season. The team of Jackson and sophomores Sophie Bollinger, Maddi Knight and Maggie Linton ran a 9:09.84 time.

Freshman Lauren Smith recorded a personal-best time in the 60m dash. Senior Erin Saunders placed second in the 500m dash, while senior Dominique Johnson took placed 13th in the weight throw.

On day two, Smith competed in the 200m dash for the first time in her collegiate career and recorded a time of 27.47, winning her heat. Senior Nicolette Serratore also set a personal record in the long jump, after clearing a distance of 5.32m (17’5.5”). Senior Olivia Viparina almost secured a top-10 finish in the 3,000m run, placing 12 out of 40 runners.

To finish the meet, the 4x400m relay time composed of sophomore Tally Lott, Bourgeois, junior Alexys Taylor and freshman Anoush Stamm recorded an ECAC qualifying time and took third place with a 3:51.82 run.

With three more ECAC qualifiers, the Dukes move toward the championships with their consistent performances. Next up is the Liberty Kick-Off on Jan. 25 and 26.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.