Molly Dougherty

Molly Dougherty earned First Team All-CAA honors in her debut season.

JMU lacrosse defeated Delaware 10-3 on Friday in the first conference game of the season for both teams. It was the fewest goals the Dukes have allowed all season and the eighth time this season they’d yielded less than 10 goals.

JMU got off to a fast start offensively. Senior attacker Hanna Haven scored less than a minute into the game and sophomore attacker Katie Checkosky scored 50 seconds later to put the Dukes up by two.

From there, JMU controlled the game defensively. The Dukes only allowed one goal in the first half, with redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Molly Dougherty saving 12 shots in the period and 15 overall. It didn’t get much better offensively for the Blue Hens, as they scored only twice in the last 20 minutes of play.

The Dukes struggled offensively, though, despite winning the draw-control battle 12 to three. They committed 25 turnovers and shot just 21 times — a step back after committing 13 turnovers and shooting 33 times in a 19-8 victory over San Diego State on March 30. The 10 goals tied the fewest the Dukes have scored in a victory all season.

JMU received a hat trick from junior attacker Maddie McDaniel, who has scored in every game this season. The Dukes will play Towson at home on Sunday, with gametime set for noon.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more lacrosse coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.