Odicci Alexander (copy)

Junior pitcher Odicci Alexander picked up her 15th win of the season in JMU's first game of its doubleheader.

JMU softball (35-7, 13-1 CAA) defeated the College of Charleston, 7-0 and 6-1, respectively, in Sunday’s doubleheader. The Dukes scored 13 runs off 18 hits, including three home runs. JMU cleaned up its fielding miscues from earlier in the week against Duke, committing only one error on the day.

“I was happy to have that zero up under the board under that E,” head coach Loren LaPorte said. “I think that’s huge, [Charleston] put the ball in play and hit some balls hard and I felt like we made some good plays, …  I think defense is going to win us championships and it’s important we that expect the ball every single time.”

JMU junior pitcher/infielder Odicci Alexander started in the circle, earning her 15th victory of the season. She pitched a shutout, allowing one hit with four walks and 10 strikeouts.

In the bottom of the first, sophomore outfielder/pitcher Logan Newton hit an RBI single to give JMU a 1-0 lead. The following inning sophomore pitcher/outfielder Hannah File and junior utility Kate Gordon smacked back-to-back home runs to extend the lead to 3-0.

“I just tried to be selective [and] hit a pitch that came to me,” File said. “It was pretty cool that Kate followed up with a home run too.”

JMU added three more runs in the bottom of the fourth and fifth, with sophomore outfielder Cambry Arnold scored on a fielding error Junior infielder Madison Naujokas and File finished the scoring in the bottom of the fifth, bringing the lead to 5-0. File finished game one going 1-for-2 with a home run and three RBIs.

“I was trying to put the ball in play hard,” File said. “Get something going, get some runs on the board for my pitchers and see what I could.”

Redshirt senior pitcher/infielder Megan Good earned her 14th victory of the season in the second game of the doubleheader. Good found herself in trouble early in the game, as the Cougars took a 1-0 lead on an RBI single by freshman catcher Jenna Helberg.

The Dukes responded in the bottom of the second when junior infielder/catcher Kierstin Roadcap blasted a go-ahead two-run home run to make it 2-1. JMU scored six straight to take a 6-1 lead, as Gordon, Newton and freshman outfielder Victoria Figueroa all drove in runs in the contest.

“I wasn’t really thinking about anything,” Roadcap said. “I just liked the pitch I saw and swung really hard, and we were up by a couple of runs, and that’s how that went.”

With the victories, JMU extends its win streak to seven and leads the CAA. The Dukes look to complete the sweep over the College of Charleston (21-24, 5-9 CAA) on Sunday. First pitch is scheduled for 12 p.m.

Contact Jason Clampitt at clampijt@dukes.jmu.edu. For more softball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.