oiih

Senior running back Percy Agyei-Obese pushes through to the endzone.

After over 400 days, JMU football is back in action against Morehead State. In the one-sided affair, the Dukes are dominating the Eagles, 28-0 at the half.

The good: JMU’s run game

The deepest position for the Dukes was on show in the first half Saturday. It didn’t take long for JMU to get the running backs involved once they got the ball, and Morehead State hasn’t figured out how to stop them.

The scoring started in the first quarter with redshirt senior running back Jawon Hamilton in the Dukes’ opening drive after forcing a three-and-out on defense. Hamilton ran the ball in for an 8-yard touchdown after a 31-yard pickup from redshirt junior wide receiver Kris Thornton. 

Redshirt sophomore Solomon Vanhorse was next in the first quarter to score and broke out on a 68-yard touchdown run. And again, in the first quarter, sophomore Latrele Palmer joined the fun and notched the third touchdown for the Dukes in a matter of minutes, and the first quarter ended 21-0.

The bad: Kelvin Azanama’s targeting ejection

With 11:50to go in the second quarter, redshirt senior linebacker Kelvin Azanama was ejected for targeting. Coming right after a targeting call that didn’t result in an ejection for redshirt senior Wayne Davis, Azanama takes the first targeting ejection for the Dukes this season.

In the first game of the year, there are still things to work out in JMU’s defense, and staying disciplined is one of them. The Dukes will need to play clean in the future to avoid penalties and not be reckless.

The ugly: Morehead State’s defense

From the beginning of the game, Morehead State knew it had to be on its game to have a chance against the Dukes, but JMU’s offense was ready to get back on the field. The Eagles let up three rushing touchdowns in the first quarter alone, plus 127 passing yards during the first half.

In the second quarter, the run game slowed a bit, but the Eagles’ secondary showed some flaws. Thornton caught a 52-yard touchdown from redshirt senior quarterback Cole Johnson to make the score 28-0 with seven minutes to go in the half.  

To keep up with JMU in the second half, Morehead State’s defense will need to make adjustments to stop the Dukes in the air and on the ground.

Contact Savannah Reger breezesports@gmail.com. For more football coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.