This past week saw a slight dip in the typically superb play of JMU sports. Women’s basketball crashed out of the Women’s National Invitation Tournament, lacrosse was defeated for the first time this season and baseball dropped two of three games in its CAA opening series against Elon. That’s not to say there weren’t any bright successes among JMU sports. Softball opened CAA play with a sweep over Towson and women’s tennis moved to 15-1 (2-0 CAA) after it defeated George Washington 7-0.

Women’s tennis also saw freshman Anna Makarova and junior Emma Petersen earn CAA Women’s Tennis Doubles Team of the Week for the second consecutive week. While Makarova and Petersen have been instrumental for JMU women’s tennis’ start, the two best performances this week came from baseball’s freshman infielder Josh Jones and softball’s sophomore pitcher/infielder Odicci Alexander.

Men’s Athlete of the Week: Josh Jones

Josh Jones

Freshman infielder Josh Jones has made his presence known on the baseball diamond so far this season as he is currently on a 12-game hitting streak.

Jones, a freshman from Charlotte Court House, Virginia, notched at least one hit in each of the Dukes’ games against Elon. In the series opener, Jones went 2-for-4, while also scoring one run. In the second game, Jones had a season-high three hits, walked once and had an RBI. In the final game of the conference-opening series, he had one hit.

As Jones showed his hitting prowess in each of the games against the Phoenix, he’s currently riding a 12-game hitting streak. He’s now batting .380 on the season and is tied for a team-high 27 hits on the year, while also having the second-highest on-base percentage at .451.

Women’s Athlete of the Week: Odicci Alexander

Odicci Alexander vs. UNCW (copy)

Sophomore pitcher/infielder Odicci Alexander has been a force both on the mound and at the plate for the Dukes so far this season.

In a doubleheader against Towson to open up CAA play for JMU softball, Alexander showed what she can do and helped guide the Dukes to a sweep. Alexander’s efforts were met with a CAA Softball Player of the Week honor.

In the opening game against the Tigers, Alexander went 3-for-3, which included a two-run home run, while scoring another run. The second leg of the doubleheader saw Alexander go 4-for-4, hitting another two-run home run. Alexander also earned the win from the circle, in which she now boasts an 11-2 record.

The final game showed that not even Alexander can have a perfect series in terms of batting, but she still went 1-for-3 and earned another RBI. Overall, Alexander went 8-for-10 with two home runs and a win on the mound.

This upcoming week will feature the track and field team participating in the Texas and Raleigh Relays. Men’s and women’s tennis both have two CAA matches, baseball will look to bounce back against VMI and Northeastern and softball will continue its CAA slate.

Contact Noah Ziegler at zieglenh@dukes.jmu.edu. For more JMU sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.