Trevon Dabney

Freshman infielder Trevon Dabney prepares to field a ball earlier this season.

JMU baseball fell to the Phoenix 5-4 in the first game of the Dukes’ three-game series against the CAA rival. The Dukes held a three-run lead early in the game, but two Elon home runs gave the Phoenix the victory.

The Dukes came into the matchup riding a three-game winning streak after a 9-8 victory against VMI on Tuesday. Offensively, JMU continued right where it left off, taking a 3-0 lead in the third inning. All three runs came off RBI singles hit by junior outfielder Fox Semones, sophomore catcher/utility Michael Morgan and junior first baseman Brady Harju.

On the mound, Kevin Kelly (4-3) led the Dukes in his seventh game of the season. Kelly posted three shutout innings to start his night. However, the Phoenix took flight offensively in the fourth inning, scoring its first run off a fielder’s choice.

The Dukes held a 3-1 lead until the bottom of the sixth inning when Elon exploded off the JMU ace. With one out, Phoenix junior infielder Cam Devanney went yard first, scoring junior infielder Joe Satterfield to tie the game. Two batters later, Kelly surrendered his second two-run home run of the inning to junior right fielder Ty Adcock whose efforts gave Elon a 5-3 lead over JMU.

The Dukes did score a run in the top of the eighth off the bat of Harju but couldn’t rally from their one-run deficit. JMU now stands at 18-9 on the season. JMU plays Elon at 4 p.m. Saturday as it looks to even the weekend series.

Contact Jordan Simal at simaljg@dukes.jmu.edu. For more baseball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.