3J8A6832.jpg

Ginger Deel and Sophie Brause celebrate after scoring the first goal of the game.

In the 100th minute, junior forward Sophie Brause scored the match-winning goal, giving JMU women’s soccer a 3-2 victory over Delaware in the semifinals of the CAA tournament. It was the No. 6-seeded Dukes’ second overtime victory of the season.

With a loss, JMU’s season would’ve been over, and the match looked over late in regulation, as the Dukes trailed 2-1 with under two minutes remaining. However, junior midfielder/forward Ebony Wiseman scored to tie up the match and send it into overtime. 

The beginning of the match featured plenty of offense. Three goals — two by Delaware and one by JMU — were scored in the first 20 minutes before both teams settled into a defensive battle. Sophomore goalkeeper Kamryn Stablein had a career-high 11 saves for the Blue Hens.

Senior goalkeeper Hannah McShea had five saves in the match, including two key stops in the overtime period. The Dukes pounded the Blue Hens defense all afternoon, getting off 21 shots — 14 of which were on target.

Wiseman had a career-high eight shots in the match, while sophomore midfielder/defender Iris Rabot assisted on JMU’s first and third goals. The Dukes advance to the CAA Championship on Saturday, where they’ll face top-seeded Hofstra at 1 p.m. It’ll be a rematch of last year’s CAA Championship, which Hofstra won, 2-0.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more soccer coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.