Odicci Alexander (copy)

Junior pitcher Odicci Alexander claimed her 23rd victory of the season with the Dukes beating DePaul, 5-2.

JMU softball (48-7, 20-1 CAA) kicked off the Ann Arbor Regional with two home runs in the 5-2 victory against DePaul (34-15, 11-5 Big East). The Dukes scored one run in the bottom of the fourth to tie the game and added four more in the bottom of the fifth to knock off the Blue Demons.

Junior pitcher/infielder Odicci Alexander started in the circle for JMU, earning her 23rd victory of the season. She pitched five innings, allowing only one run on three hits with four strikeouts, including a 1-2-3 inning to open the game.

Alexander gave up the only run of the game in the top of the third when junior catcher/third baseman Jessica Cothern singled, driving in sophomore infielder Maranda Gutierrez to make it 1-0. Failing to capitalize on scoring chances in the bottom of the first and second, JMU got on the board in the bottom of the fourth when sophomore infielder Sara Jubas homered down the left field line.

In the bottom of the fifth, the Dukes’ offense came alive, scoring four runs as junior utility Kate Gordon smacked a two-run home run to give JMU a 3-1 lead. Junior infielder/catcher Kierstin Roadcap finished the scoring in the inning when she drove in two runs, making it 5-1.

Redshirt senior pitcher/infielder Megan Good relieved Alexander in the top of the sixth. She pitched two innings, allowing one run on one hit with two strikeouts. The only run Good gave up came in the top of the sixth when senior catcher/third baseman Morgan Greenwood homered to center field to cut the lead to 5-2.

With the victory, JMU moves into the winner’s bracket of the Ann Arbor Regional and will face No. 15 Michigan on Saturday at noon.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more softball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.