Nick Stewart

Freshman pitcher Nick Stewart winds up to throw a pitch in JMU's game against Elon. Stewart had his lowest ERA of the season against Charleston with a 1.23.

JMU freshman pitcher Nick Stewart has been named CAA Rookie of the Week, as announced by the league on Monday. This marks the fifth time a JMU player has won CAA honors, and the second time in two weeks.

In Sunday's game against Charleston, Stewart tossed a career high 7.1 innings, and only gave up one earned run to go along with nine strikeouts. Charleston hitters managed just two hits against Stewart, and were held without a walk. Stewart recorded five innings in which he shut down Charleston hitters in order. Stewart left the game in the eighth without a decision and JMU went on to lose the game 3-2. The righty is now 3-2 on the season with a 3.11 ERA, and a 9.44 K/9 ratio.

This was the second time the freshman was able to reach nine strikeouts in a game, first doing so in a career-high 10-strikeout performance against UMass Lowell on March 18.  

Among JMU pitchers who’ve thrown for 20 or more innings, Stewart ranks second in ERA, third in innings pitched (37.2) and is tied for first in strikeouts (39). He has yet to make a defensive error this year, and hasn’t given up more then two earned runs in any of his outings.

This is the second CAA Rookie of the Week award he has earned this season. Stewart first won the honor on Feb. 27 after allowing just two hits and one run in five innings pitched in his first collegiate start against UAlbany. This is the fourth time this season that a JMU freshman has garnered CAA honors. Freshman infielders Michael Morgan (April 2)and Josh Jones (March 12) have also earned CAA Rookie of the Week awards for the Dukes.

JMU will face Maryland on Tuesday at Veterans Memorial Park. First pitch is set for 6 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more baseball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.