Jimmy Moreland Stony Brook (copy)

Jimmy Moreland became the first JMU football player drafted since Earl Watford in 2013.

For the first time since 2013, the JMU football team saw one of its players taken in the NFL Draft.

Cornerback Jimmy Moreland became the 14th Duke drafted in program history. The Washington Redskins drafted the former JMU standout in the seventh round with the No. 227 overall pick.

The last Duke drafted was Earl Watford in 2013. Watford went in the fourth round at No. 116 overall to the Arizona Cardinals.

In his senior campaign, Moreland made his name known. The Royal Palm Beach, Florida, native recorded 28 solo and 28 assisted tackles during his senior campaign. Moreland also added five interceptions — three of which were returned for touchdowns — to bring the JMU program record for career interceptions to 18.

Following a career season, Moreland was named the CAA Defensive Player of the Year and was selected to nine different All-American lists. Moreland also finished sixth in the STATS FCS Buck Buchanan Award race.

The cornerback also made an appearance in the 2019 Reese’s Senior Bowl — the first time a JMU athlete has played in the game. Moreland also shined in the 2019 East-West Shrine Game when he returned a missed field goal for 61 yards and didn’t allow a single reception.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com . For more football coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.