Jimmy Moreland

Jimmy Moreland covers the Stony Brook player.

Former JMU cornerback Jimmy Moreland announced via Twitter on Monday that he will be heading to Mobile, Alabama to participate in the 2019 Reese’s Senior Bowl on Jan. 26 — becoming the first player in JMU history to receive an invitation.

Moreland, who just finished a week in St. Petersburg, Florida, competing in the East-West Shrine Game, recorded one tackle, returned a missed field goal for 61 yards and didn’t allow a single reception to a receiver he was guarding. He impressed several media and NFL team scouts throughout the week, earning another shot to showcase his talents ahead of the 2019 NFL Draft.

The 5-foot-11-inch, 175-pound corner will wear No. 17 for the Reese’s Senior Bowl and represent the South Team, coached by San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan. No. 17 was worn by Moreland during his true freshman season at JMU, back in 2014.

The recipient of the 2018 CAA Defensive Player of the Year award, Moreland was a natural playmaker throughout his senior year and JMU career — amassing 18 career interceptions, six returned for touchdowns and 63 pass deflections. In his senior season alone, Moreland totaled 56 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, five interceptions and three pick-sixes.

Moreland will be joined by two other former CAA athletes in the Senior Bowl, as Delaware safety Nasir Adderly and Elon offensive lineman Oli Udoh also received invitations.

The Senior Bowl, which will be held in Ladd-Peebles Stadium, will be televised nationally on NFL Network this Saturday beginning at 2:30 p.m., along with each practice from Tuesday through Thursday from 1-6 p.m.

Contact Blake Pace at breezesports@gmail.com. For more football coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.