Matt Lewis

JMU guard Matt Lewis claps his hands while he waits for EMU's Tim Jones to make a move. 

Despite trailing by as many as nine points in the second half, JMU men’s basketball took down the CAA’s No. 1-ranked Hofstra Pride in overtime, 104-99. Behind 40 points from sophomore guard Matt Lewis, including a buzzer-beating three to send the game into overtime and a four-point play in the extra period, the Dukes spoiled Hofstra’s hopes to clinched a share of the CAA regular-season title with a victory.

The Dukes had a strong first half offensively, shooting 50 percent from the floor and making all of their free throws. Lewis and redshirt senior guard Stuckey Mosley scored 13 and 10 points in the half, respectively, to lead their team. However, poor defense allowed the Pride to also make half their first-half shots, but James Madison entered halftime with an eight-point lead, 40-32.

Hofstra began the second half strong, and a quick 12-2 run retook the lead for the team who had yet to lose a game at home. After a pair of free throws by senior guard Desure Buie put Hofstra up 89-86, Lewis answered with his buzzer-beating three to keep the game alive.

After a five-point play off a made three from Mosley and a pair of free throws from sophomore forward Greg Jones and a four-point play from Lewis, the Dukes had the lead for good and jumped to seventh in the CAA standings. Senior guard Justin Wright-Foreman led the Pride with 33 points.

With the victory, JMU moved to 13-16 (6-10 CAA) on the season. Next up for the Dukes is a home battle with the Elon Phoenix on Thursday. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more basketball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.