Tilbe Yaglioglu

JMU senior setter Tilbe Yaglioglu runs out onto the court while her teammates cheer her on at the last home volleyball game at James Madison University.

JMU volleyball fell to Kennesaw State in five sets with scores of 19-25, 20-25, 25-21, 25-20 and 15-11. With the loss, JMU is now 0-1 in the High Point Classic in High Point, North Carolina. This brings JMU to a 1-3 start on the season.

The Dukes started the match strong, taking the first two sets with dominating performances by freshman striker Caroline Dozier, who led the Dukes with 40 assists, and sophomore defensive specialist Savannah Marshall, who had 25 digs on the night. Dozier also recorded three blocks against the Owls, while graduate defensive specialist Karis Beasley recorded an ace for the Dukes.

Freshman Danielle Nathan, freshman Sophia Davis and senior Briley Brind'Amour all had 11 kills on the night. Davis also had a team-high 11 blocks.

The Dukes were looking good going into the third set, but then Owls took over. Senior striker Lexi Broadwater led the way with 38 assists for Kennesaw State, and junior defensive specialist Karlie Groover recorded 16 digs. Broadwater also had 14 digs and Groover recorded two aces, the most in the match for the Owls. Kennesaw State took the final three sets to win the match 3-2.

JMU outplayed Kennesaw State in blocks 16 to three, but the Owls dominated the stat sheet otherwise. Kennesaw had 59 kills to JMU’s 47 and outplayed the Dukes in aces, 7-1. The Owls also had 52 assists to JMU’s 44 and had more digs than JMU.

JMU, now having dropped its second straight match, has a quick turnaround as they square off with Furman on Saturday, with first serve at 11 a.m.

Contact the sports desk at BreezeSports@gmail.com For more Volleyball, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.