Kate Gordon

Junior utility Kate Gordon runs home during the Dukes game last season.

JMU softball opened its first of two games on Saturday with a 6-1 victory over Florida Atlantic. The Dukes offense came alive right off the bat, scoring three runs in the first inning as the Dukes drove in six runs on 11 hits.

The Dukes struck first when junior utility Kate Gordon scored on an error by the Owl’s shortstop making it 1-0. Sophomore pitcher/infielder Hannah File extended the lead to 3-0, hitting a two-run double to right-center.

Florida Atlantic cut the lead to 3-1 when senior pitcher Mia Olson hit a home run in the bottom of the first. JMU extended its lead to 4-1 in the top of the second, on an RBI from Gordon. The following inning, senior pitcher/infielder Megan Good launched a home run to center, extending the lead to 5-1.

Gordon finished the Dukes’ scoring in the top of the seventh, hitting a home run to left field to make it 6-1. Gordon had a tremendous day at the plate, going 4-for-4 with a home run and two RBIs.

In the circle, junior pitcher/infielder Odicci Alexander started for the Dukes and pitched a complete game. She gave up the lone run on two hits and struck out 10 FAU batters. With the win, JMU improves its record to 2-1 on the season and will take on No. 6 Tennessee at 4 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more softball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.