Marcus Marshall

In his first game back since Week 9, running back Marcus Marshall scored the only rushing touchdown of the day.

Soon after the 2019 NFL Draft concluded, former JMU running backs Cardon Johnson and Marcus Marshall accepted invites to rookie camps. These camps allow undrafted players to show teams what they can do, but it doesn’t guarantee the players a contract.

Johnson received an invite from the Pittsburgh Steelers. Despite dealing with injuries throughout his collegiate career, Johnson amassed 2,745 rushing yards and 29 touchdowns. He had a career game against East Carolina in 2017, when the Newport News, Virginia, native ran for 265 yards and two touchdowns on 17 carries.

Marshall, who received invites from the Kansas City Chiefs and Tennessee Titans, began his college playing days at Georgia Tech. As a Yellow Jacket, where he ran a wishbone offense during his two years there, he led the team in rushing. Following his sophomore season, he transferred to JMU.

As a Duke, Marshall ran for 1,296 yards and 17 touchdowns. In 2017, he served as a kick returner and averaged 22.5 yards per return.

The lone player to get drafted from JMU was cornerback Jimmy Moreland, who was taken in the seventh round by the Washington Redskins. Moreland became the 15th player in program history to be drafted.  

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more football coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.