WoSoc

JMU women's soccer team has rattled off two wins in a row.

JMU women's soccer notched its second straight win on Sunday, defeating George Washington (4-3-1) 3-0, improving the Dukes’ mark to 3-6 on the year. This was the final non-conference game of the regular season for the Dukes, who will open CAA play on the road Thursday at Drexel.

Junior forward Haley Crawford got the Dukes on the board first with a goal assisted by redshirt freshman forward/midfielder Hannah Coulling. Senior forward/midfielder Brittany Borum added another goal on an assist from Crawford seven minutes later, and JMU took a 2-0 lead into halftime.

Less than four minutes into the second half, sophomore midfielder Sophie Brause added a goal to add insurance to JMU’s lead. The Dukes thoroughly outplayed George Washington, doubling the Colonials in shots — 16 to eight — with a season-high 13 shots on goal.

Crawford took another step toward solidifying her place in JMU history, climbing to 10th on the all-time leaderboard for assists with 21. With just over two seasons of play under her belt, Crawford will look to add to that already impressive total over the course of the season.

After getting off to a rocky start under first year head coach Joshua Walters, the Dukes rebounded and are looking to claw back to .500 or better in the next few weeks. JMU faced a tough non-conference schedule this season and will likely be well prepared for difficult opponents as the season progresses.

This win should help the Dukes build momentum with conference play coming up quickly. Drexel is 3-2-4 and should provide a solid test for JMU at this point in the season. After traveling to face the Dragons, the Dukes will play their first home in-conference game Saturday against Hofstra at 1 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more soccer coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.