Ginger Deel William & Mary

Ginger Deel zooms past a defender against William & Mary in 2017. 

JMU women’s soccer couldn’t recover from a two-goal halftime deficit in a tough 3-2 road loss to Elon (11-3-2, 5-1-1 CAA). With two games remaining in the regular season, the Dukes (6-10-1, 3-3-1 CAA) will finish with a win percentage below .500 for the first time since 2016.

The beginning of the game was a defensive battle, with both sides struggling to get shots off. Redshirt sophomore midfielder/defender Hannah Coulling scored in the 23rd minute, but the Phoenix answered with three goals in 10 minutes to take a 3-1 lead into the half.

The Dukes seemed to control the second half. They outshot Elon 6-2 in the period, and junior forward/midfielder Ginger Deel cut the deficit to one with a goal in the 52nd minute, but that was as close as JMU would get to the Phoenix.

Senior goalkeeper Hannah McShea made a pair of saves in the contest. Sophomore defender Sarah Gordon picked up a pair of yellow cards — the first in the 43rd minute and the second in the 86th minute — which led to her ejection and the Dukes competing a player down for the final four minutes.

Next, JMU travels to Wilmington, North Carolina, for a road matchup against UNCW. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more soccer coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.