JMU women's soccer

JMU women's soccer fell to Northeastern on Sunday, snapping its four-game win streak.

JMU women’s soccer lost 3-2 in overtime to Seattle on Thursday night. The Dukes dropped to 1-2 so far this season.

The beginning of the match featured quick scoring with three goals in the first seven minutes, giving the Redhawks a 2-1 lead. From there, the teams struggled to keep control of the ball on a rain-soaked night.

Junior forward Ginger Deel provided the equalizer in the 50th minute with her second goal of the season. It stayed that way until the 97th minute when Seattle senior forward Jessie Ray headed the ball into the net to win the game.

"That was an exciting game for the fans,” JMU head coach Joshua Walters told JMU Athletics. “I felt like both teams were dangerous in front of goal and dodged some bullets. I am disappointed in the result but encouraged with the opportunities we created. We need to be more ruthless in front of goal, and we're giving up too many goals."

JMU took 21 shots in the game, but only seven of them were on goal. The Dukes also had nine corner kicks, none of which led to the ball entering the net. Junior forward Sophie Brause scored her first goal of the year in the third minute. 

The Dukes close out their road trip in the Pacific Northwest on Sunday afternoon when they play No. 23 Washington State. Kickoff is set for 4 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more soccer coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.