2018 JMU Women's Soccer-Dayton

Head coach Joshua Walters talks with his new team mid-game.

Liberty freshman midfielder Grace Spade scored in the 104th minute to give the Flames (3-4-2) a 3-2 victory over JMU women’s soccer. The Dukes dropped to 2-7-0 on the season, including a 0-6 record on the road and 1-2 in overtime games. 

JMU started off strong when junior midfielder/forward Ebony Wiseman put the ball in the back of the net in the fourth minute. Liberty answered in the 12th minute, but the Dukes took a 2-1 lead into halftime when redshirt sophomore midfielder/defender Hannah Coulling scored her third career goal.

The Flames tied the game less than two minutes into the second half, and from there, it was a defensive battle. Redshirt senior goalkeeper Hannah McShea — who had five saves — made a crucial stop at the end of regulation to send the game into overtime.

JMU’s two first-half goals were a season-high for the opening 45 minutes, and it also set season bests in shots and shots on goal for the game. Wiseman and senior forward Phoebe Dinga both picked up yellow cards, a product of a chippy contest that featured 18 total fouls, nine by each side.

The Dukes will try to win their first road game of the season Sunday when they play at LSU. Kickoff is set for 2 p.m. 

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more soccer coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.