3J8A7203.jpg

Goalkeeper, Hannah McShea, blocks a goal attempt from UNCW.

After going nearly nine years without giving up six goals in a game, JMU women’s soccer gave up that many for the second time in two weeks in a 6-0 loss to No. 11 Duke on Sunday. The Dukes dropped to 2-6 on the season, including a 0-4 mark against ranked opponents and 0-5 on the road.

The Blue Devils controlled the game from the get-go. They had 17 shots in the first half, but strong defense from the Dukes and four saves from senior goalkeeper Hannah McShea limited the strong Duke offense, with the only first-half goal coming as an own goal in the 33rd minute.

The floodgates opened in the second half. The Blue Devils scored in the 54th and 55th minutes, and then scored three more times in the 73rd, 75th, and 83rd minutes. 

Offensive struggles have been a continuing narrative for JMU early in the season, and it was an issue for the Dukes on Sunday. They didn’t have a shot attempt in the first half and had only four in the game. JMU also got called for being offsides four times, which stymied opportunities to get shots off. It was also the fourth time in eight games that the Dukes scored one goal or fewer.

McShea had eight saves, which tied a career-high that was set a week ago in a 2-1 loss to No. 8 Penn State. Next, the Dukes play Thursday night in a road battle at Liberty. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more soccer coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.