JMU women's soccer

JMU women's soccer took home its fourth win of the season with a victory 1-0 over Drexel. The Dukes are 4-6-0 (1-0-0 CAA) on the season.

JMU women’s soccer opened up CAA play with a 1-0 win over Drexel. Junior midfielder Claire Meiser scored the only goal in the match — her first in the 2018 season.

The Dukes, who are now riding a three-match win streak, had 10 shots with five on target. The Dragons only put one shot on net, but JMU’s junior goalkeeper Hanna McShea handled it to earn her fourth shutout of the season.

"That was a very good Drexel team we shut out tonight,” head coach Josh Walters said to JMU Athletics. “I'm so proud of the effort the team put into executing the defensive game plan. We got a great lift from the bench with [freshman midfielder Abby Maltese] connecting with [Meiser] for the game-winner. It was great for us to get a feel for one of the most consistent teams in the league and to compete well with them.”

JMU, who’s now 4-6-0 (1-0-0 CAA), hosts Hofstra Sunday at 1 p.m. at Sentara Park as it looks to extend its winning streak to four. Hofstra comes in at 7-3-0 (1-0-0 CAA), also boasting a three game win streak.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more soccer coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.