JMU women's soccer

JMU players celebrate a goal earlier this season.

Senior forward Phoebe Dinga scored her first goal of the season in the 74th minute to give JMU women’s soccer (3-7) a 1-0 victory over LSU to close out non-conference play. It was the Dukes’ first road win of the season.

The match was a defensive battle from the get-go. Both sides struggled to take shots in the first half, with each team getting five off and two on goal in the opening 45 minutes. 

In the second half, LSU had no issue shooting the ball, but most of them weren’t on target. Of the 13 shots the Tigers took, only three of them were on goal. The Dukes had plenty of opportunities as well. They took eight corners in the game, yet couldn’t convert them into shots on goal. 

Dinga’s goal was the only shot JMU took in the second half. Her last goal came on Sept. 3, 2017, in a 5-0 defeat of Tulsa. Senior goalkeeper Hannah McShea had five saves in the game, including a crucial stop on a penalty in the 80th minute. 

The victory was also the Dukes’ first shutout of the year. Next, JMU starts CAA play at home versus William & Mary on Thursday. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more soccer coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.