Morgan Cox (copy)

JMU women's golf next competes at the Husky Invitational in Sugar Land, Texas.

JMU women’s golf finished in sixth-place at the CAA championships in South Carolina on Sunday. The Dukes finished a single stroke behind fifth-placed Elon.

Senior Katie Turk had her lowest CAA Championship round of her career with a 4-over par in her final collegiate round ever, which propelled her eight spots to finish tied for 19th. Turk had seven pars and a birdie on the front nine.

Other standouts for the Dukes in the event included junior Lauren Comegys and freshman Carly Lyvers, who each carded 79s on the day. The 79s resulted in Comegys finishing tied for 15th and Lyvers finishing in 25th place. Freshman Kate Owens was the Dukes’ top finisher in the tournament, finishing in 13th place in the four-day event.

JMU head coach Tommy Baker liked the progress he saw at the CAA Championships and is looking forward to building upon this weekend’s tournament. He also talked about Turk and how much she’s meant to the program.

“I think we learned a lot about what we need to do to take the next step towards being a championship team this week,” Baker said to JMU athletics. “I’m proud of the way we battled and we know how much work we have to do over the summer and next season … I’m also extremely thankful to Turk for her years here at JMU and very happy that she concluded her career with a great round.”

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more women’s golf coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.