Jackie Benitez

Redshirt junior guard Jackie Benitez recorded a season-high 21 points against William & Mary.

JMU women’s basketball continued its reign over the CAA, topping William & Mary 78-65 to extend its win streak to 10 games. The Dukes haven’t endured a defeat since Jan. 20 when they fell in a close game to UNCW, 66-63.

Heading into Sunday’s contest, William & Mary hadn’t beaten the Dukes in the last four meetings between the teams. The Tribe’s last win against JMU came Feb. 26, 2017 in a 62-53, regular-season contest.

While William & Mary was able to get on the board first, once JMU claimed the lead less than two minutes in, the Dukes never looked back. JMU outscored the Tribe 41-33 in the first half with redshirt junior guard Jackie Benitez leading the way with 15 points into the break.

Benitez finished the day with a season-high 21 points and also had three steals on the afternoon. The Dukes outshot the Tribe in the paint 46 percent to 40 percent and from three 46 percent to 30 percent. Redshirt junior center Kayla Cooper Williams also outblocked the Tribe 4-0 with junior forward Devon Merritt also getting a block.

JMU now sits at 22-4 (14-1 CAA) on the season heading into its final road game of the regular season Sunday against Towson. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more basketball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.