Sean O'Regan (copy)

JMU women's basketball head coach Sean O'Regan signed with the Dukes through 2023.

JMU Athletics announced Wednesday that women’s basketball head coach Sean O’Regan signed an extension that keeps him in his position through the 2022-23 season. 

"JMU women's basketball has been a model of consistency for nearly a decade and a half, and Sean O'Regan has been instrumental in that rise to prominence," JMU Director of Athletics Jeff Bourne said to JMU Athletics.

O’Regan is 74-24 (48-6 CAA) in his first three seasons as the head coach. Before being named to the position prior to the 2016-17 season, he served as an assistant coach since 2007. 

“I'm extremely thankful to our athletics and university administration for their confidence in what we continue to build here at JMU," O’Regan said. "James Madison is a special place for me, and I'm honored to be able to be the head coach of the women's basketball program for the years to come. My staff and I will continue to make JMU the best program it can be.”

This past season was one of the best in team history. The Dukes tied a program record with 29 wins and made it to the Women’s National Invitational Tournament semifinals. 

JMU hosted five postseason contests, which included victories over North Carolina A&T, USF, Virginia Tech and Georgetown. JMU also set a single-season record with 18 home victories, and won at least 23 games for the 14th year in a row.

This season will be O’Regan’s fourth as head coach of the Dukes. Under him, JMU has won the CAA regular season title in the last two seasons. Four starters — redshirt senior Kayla Cooper-Williams, seniors Kamiah Smalls, Lexie Barrier and Devon Merritt — and CAA Sixth Player of the Year redshirt senior Jackie Benitez are among those set to return for O’Regan.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more basketball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.