'klj

Freshman guard Peyton McDaniel dribble the ball and blocks against George Washington on Dec. 9.

JMU women’s basketball played against Maryland in its final non-conference game of the 2020-21 season, and ultimately fell to the Terps 101-59. This was JMU's second straight loss after losing to West Virginia last weekend. 

The teams went back-and-forth throughout the majority of the first quarter. Freshman guard Peyton McDaniel helped give the Dukes early points to keep up with the Terps’ offense, and by the end of the first quarter JMU had a 19-16 lead.

JMU lost its lead in the second quarter as Maryland’s offense took off. The Dukes struggled to keep offense alive as the Terps kept together a strong defense and fast offense and Maryland took a 45-27 lead by the end of the first half.

McDaniel led the team in stats with eight points, two rebounds and two steals in the first half, and sophomore forward Rayne Tucker, only two points behind McDaniel, held two rebounds. The Dukes had a 36.7% field goal percentage, being outshot by Maryland with 41.9%.

The third quarter brought more frustration for the Dukes as the team continued to struggle offensively, missing scoring opportunities and allowing Maryland to steal the ball. The Terps jumped to a 30-point lead in the third quarter, and maintained the lead throughout the remainder of the quarter despite the Dukes’ efforts to close the gap.

The final quarter of the match up continued the same pattern as the previous two, giving way for Maryland to glide through the quarter. JMU did its best to keep up, but the Terps’ defensive efforts were too much for the Dukes to control. The JMU defense was unable to slow down the speed of Maryland’s roster, and continued to miss multiple scoring chances — including rebound opportunities. By the end of the fourth quarter, Maryland was able to secure its win with a final score of 101-59.

JMU will have a short break to celebrate the holidays before preparing for CAA play, beginning with Towson on Jan. 1. The game will be followed by JMU hosting Towson afterwards, with first tip off set for 2 p.m.

Contact the Sports Desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more basketball coverage, follow The Breeze Sports on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.