jmuvschat48

It was a busy week for JMU Athletics, with several teams leaving Harrisonburg to take teams on the road. Here’s what you may have missed.

Football (3-1)

JMU football wrapped up its non-conference schedule with a 37-14 thumping of Chattanooga. An up-and-down first half saw the Dukes enter halftime up by six, but they outscored the Mocs 17-0 in the second half. Redshirt senior quarterback Ben DiNucci went 19-for-25 for 264 yards and one touchdown, and junior running back Percy Agyei-Obese had a career-high 114 yards rushing.

JMU’s defense held Chattanooga to under three yards per carry on the ground — something the Dukes have accomplished in all four games this season. JMU next plays at Elon on Saturday, with kickoff set for 2 p.m.

Men’s soccer (5-2-0, 2-0-0 CAA)

JMU men’s soccer pulled off a 1-0 upset of No. 1 Wake Forest on Tuesday night. Senior midfielder Manuel Ferriol provided the lone goal in the 52nd minute and redshirt junior T.J. Bush saved a career-high seven shots, including a crucial stop of a penalty kick in the 76th minute.

Saturday, the Dukes shut out Mount St. Mary’s 3-0. Ferriol accumulated a hat trick, scoring in the sixth, 56th and 66th minutes. Since starting the season 0-2, JMU has won five straight matches. The Dukes play twice this week: Tuesday at Longwood and Saturday versus Drexel.

Women’s soccer (3-7-0)

JMU women’s soccer closed out its non-conference schedule this past week. Thursday, the Dukes lost in double overtime at Liberty. Despite two first-half goals scored by junior midfielder/forward Ebony Wiseman and redshirt sophomore midfielder/defender Hannah Coulling, JMU managed nothing the rest of the way.

On Sunday, senior forward Phoebe Dinga scored her first goal in over two years to give the Dukes a 1-0 victory over LSU. It was JMU’s first road win of the season. The Dukes open CAA play this week, with a game at home versus William & Mary on Thursday and at Delaware on Sunday.

Volleyball (6-4)

JMU volleyball won its lone match this week. On Tuesday, the Dukes defeated in-state rival VCU 3-1 to close out non-conference action. Three players — seniors Briley Brind’Amour and M’Kaela White and freshman Sophia Davis — had double-digit kills for JMU.

Defensively, three Dukes — graduate senior Karis Beasley, junior Zarah White and sophomore Savannah Marshall — had at least ten digs. JMU plays three times this week at home: Thursday versus UNCW, Saturday against College of Charleston and Sunday versus Towson

Field hockey (3-4)

JMU field hockey defeated No. 22 Old Dominion 3-1 on Sunday. Redshirt senior forward/midfielder Miranda Rigg, redshirt sophomore forward Marina Rupinski and freshman Emily Harrison all scored for the Dukes. 

Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Kyle LeBlanc had five saves for JMU that afternoon. The Dukes play twice this week against the ACC: on the road against No. 5 Virginia on Tuesday and at home versus North Carolina on Sunday.

Men’s golf

JMU men’s golf finished third out of 12 teams in the VCU Invitational on Monday and Tuesday. Sophomore Nick Schlickenrieder posted his first career top-10 finish with a career-low 3-under-par. He was one of just five players to shoot under par in all three rounds. 

As a team, the Dukes finished with a final-round 284 (-4) that left them just four shots off team champion Old Dominion. JMU next travels to Davidson, North Carolina, to participate in the River Run Collegiate on Monday and Tuesday.

Men’s tennis

JMU men’s tennis competed in the UNCG Invitational over the weekend. On Friday, the Dukes racked up six victories, including going 2-2 in doubles. They continue strong on Saturday, winning 12 out of 16 singles matches and three of four doubles matches. 

On Sunday, JMU picked up three doubles victories and four singles wins. The Dukes don’t play the next two weeks and will compete next in the River City Invitational October 11-13. 

Women’s tennis

JMU women’s tennis opened its season at the Thunder In The Mountains in Charleston, West Virginia. On Friday, the Dukes went 5-1 in doubles and 6-2 in singles. JMU kept the momentum going on Saturday, sweeping all three doubles matches against Toledo.

On Sunday, JMU won all six of its singles matches. The Dukes are off this week but will return to action in the Wildcat Invite October 4-6. 

Contact Joshua Gingrich at gingrihj@dukes.jmu.edu. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.