jmuvssfu36

It was a busy week for JMU athletics; several teams were at home this week, with some playing ranked opponents. Here’s what you may have missed. 

Football (1-1)

JMU football won its first game of the season in a 44-7 defeat of St. Francis (PA). The Dukes scored the first 37 points of the game, and eight of their 13 possessions ended in a touchdown or field goal. Redshirt senior quarterback Ben DiNucci went 16-for-21 for 221 passing yards and two touchdowns, and freshman running back Solomon Vanhorse contributed 86 rushing yards and two touchdowns on the ground.

JMU’s defense held the Red Flash to under 200 yards of total offense. Next, the Dukes will welcome Morgan State to Harrisonburg on Saturday with kickoff set for 4 p.m.

Men’s soccer (2-2, 1-0 CAA)

JMU men’s soccer competed in the Fairfield Inn by Marriott JMU Invitational over the weekend. On Friday, the Dukes shut out CAA rival Hofstra 2-0. Freshman midfielder Clay Obara scored the first goal of his career in the 74th minute, and senior forward Brennen Burton put one in the back of the net in the 87th minute. 

Sunday night, sophomore midfielder Tyler Clegg scored in the 105th minute to give JMU an overtime 3-2 victory over Loyola (MD). The Dukes travel to take on Elon Saturday; kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

Women’s soccer (1-5)

JMU women’s soccer lost both of its matchups this week. On Thursday, the Dukes lost their third straight game when they fell 2-1 on a late penalty kick goal by St. Joseph’s redshirt senior forward Dakota Mills. Senior defender/forward Maia Foley scored her first goal of the season — and the second of her career — in the 69th minute.

On Sunday, JMU again lost 2-1, this time to No. 8 Penn State. Senior forward Claire Mesier scored her second goal of the season in the first minute of the game, and senior goalkeeper Hannah McShea set a career-high with eight saves. The Dukes will try to break their four-game losing streak this week when they host George Mason on Thursday and travel to No. 10 Duke on Sunday.

Volleyball (3-3)

JMU volleyball competed in the High Point Classic on Friday and Saturday. Friday, the Dukes lost in five sets to Kennesaw State. They won the first two sets before losing the next three.

On Saturday, JMU swept both Furman and High Point to even its record at 3-3. The Dukes travel to Gainesville, Florida, this weekend to compete in the Gator Invitational. 

Field Hockey (2-2)

JMU field hockey split its two games this week. On Friday, the Dukes got shutout 3-0 in their home opener by No. 14 Ohio State. The Buckeyes scored all three of their goals in the first half and held JMU to four shots on goal.

The Dukes defeated Georgetown 3-2 on Sunday. They outshot the Hoyas 12-4 and scored two goals in the final eleven minutes to win the game. JMU plays twice this week in College Park, Maryland: a neutral-site game versus American on Friday, and against Maryland on Sunday.

Women’s golf

JMU women’s golf competed in the William & Mary Invitational on Sunday and Monday. The Dukes finished third out of 10 teams, and carded a 298 on Monday, their lowest round to par as a team since March 5 at the Battle of Boulder Creek.

Senior Lauren Comegys and freshman Kendall Turner each finished in the top-15 to open the season. JMU is off for nearly three weeks and will compete next in the Lady Paladin Invitational in Greenville, South Carolina.

Contact Joshua Gingrich at gingrihj@dukes.jmu.edu. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.