jmuvssb57

Carlo Jones and D'Angelo Amos celebrate their teams' fifth win of the season.

It was a busy week for the Dukes with multiple teams playing in Harrisonburg and on the road. Here’s what you may have missed.

Football (5-1, 2-0 CAA)

JMU football won a slugfest on Saturday, defeating Stony Brook 45-38 in the Dukes’ first overtime game since 2014. Redshirt junior running back Jawon Hamilton scored on a touchdown run, and the Dukes’ defense forced an incomplete pass on fourth down from redshirt junior quarterback Tyquell Fields to win the game.

Redshirt senior quarterback Ben DiNucci went 13-for-17 for 218 yards with one touchdown and one interception. JMU returns home for its first home game in nearly a month when the Dukes host Villanova on Saturday; kickoff is set for 1:30 p.m.

Men’s soccer (8-2-1, 3-0-1 CAA)

JMU men’s soccer extended its point streak to nine this week. On Wednesday, the No. 16 Dukes defeated No. 14 Cal State Fullerton in overtime 1-0 with sophomore midfielder Tyler Clegg accounting for the lone goal. The Dukes’ defense held the Titans to just one shot on goal the entire match.

On Saturday, JMU rallied from a three-goal deficit to gut out a draw at Northeastern. Senior midfielder Manuel Ferriol scored twice, including the equalizer in the 84th minute. The Dukes will try to keep the streak alive twice this week with road matches versus Villanova on Tuesday and against Delaware on Saturday.

Women’s soccer (4-8-1, 1-1-1 CAA)

JMU women’s soccer won its first CAA match of the season on Sunday in a 4-3 victory over Northeastern. The Dukes rallied from a two-goal deficit in the second half, and sophomore midfielder Annie Sorando scored her first career goal to give the Dukes the lead with under 10 minutes left.

Junior forward/midfielder Ginger Deel, sophomore midfielder/defender Iris Rabot and sophomore defender Ashby Larkin also scored for JMU. The Dukes play twice this week: at Hofstra on Thursday and at home versus College of Charleston on Sunday.

Field hockey (4-7, 0-1 CAA)

JMU field hockey split its two games this week. On Friday, the Dukes lost to William & Mary 5-2. The Tribe outshot the Dukes 19-10, including 12-1 in the third quarter, when W&M scored four times.

On Sunday, redshirt senior forward/midfielder Miranda Rigg scored in the 57th minute to give JMU a 2-1 victory over Richmond. The Dukes play twice this week at home: against Drexel on Friday and versus Hofstra on Sunday.

Volleyball (8-6, 2-2 CAA)

JMU volleyball lost its only match of the week. On Friday, the Dukes fell 3-1 to Delaware, winning only the second set. It was JMU’s second straight loss at home.

Two Dukes — senior Briley Brind’Amour and freshman Sophia Davis — had nine kills. JMU plays at Elon on Thursday and at William & Mary on Saturday.

Women’s tennis

JMU women’s tennis competed in the Wildcat Invite over the weekend. The Dukes had a strong Friday, claiming victories in eight of their 11 singles matches. On Saturday, JMU built on its day one success by winning 11 of its 12 double matches.

On Sunday, the Dukes won four of their five singles matches. Senior Jona Roka completed a perfect weekend by going 3-0. JMU is off for nearly three weeks but will return to action at the ITA Atlantic Regional Championships Oct. 25-29.

Contact Joshua Gingrich at gingrihj@dukes.jmu.edu. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.