Jamir Hudson.JPG

Jamir Hudson warms up before JMU football takes on William & Mary. 

It was a busy week for the Dukes, with several teams in action both at home and on the road. Here’s what you may have missed.

Football (7-1, 4-0 CAA)

JMU football defeated William & Mary on Saturday for the Dukes’ seventh straight victory. Redshirt senior defensive lineman Ron’Dell Carter had a career-high six tackles for loss and one sack. The Dukes allowed only 75 rushing yards — 73 of which came on one play — and 119 passing yards.

Redshirt senior quarterback Ben DiNucci went 23-for-36 for 250 yards with two touchdowns and an interception. JMU returns home on Saturday for its homecoming game when it plays Towson at 3:30 p.m.

Men’s soccer (9-5-1, 4-1-1 CAA)

JMU men’s soccer lost both its matches this week, each by identical 1-0 scores. Tuesday, the Dukes fell to No. 1 Virginia. Junior forward Irakoze Donasiyano scored the lone goal in the 78th minute, and redshirt junior T.J. Bush saved three shots for the Dukes.

Saturday, JMU lost to UNCW for its first home loss and CAA loss of the season. The Dukes play twice this week on the road: at Penn State on Tuesday and versus College of Charleston on Saturday.

Women’s soccer (6-10-1, 3-3-1)

JMU women’s soccer split its two matches this week. Thursday, six different Dukes scored in a 6-0 romp of Towson. It was the most goals JMU had scored in a match since a 6-0 victory over Pitt on August 26, 2011.

Sunday, the Dukes couldn’t recover from a two-goal halftime deficit in a 3-2 loss to Elon. Junior forward/midfielder Ginger Deel and redshirt sophomore midfielder/defender scored for the Dukes. JMU closes out the regular season with two games this week: on the road at UNCW and at home versus Drexel on Sunday.

Volleyball (12-6, 6-2 CAA)

JMU volleyball won both its matches this week. Friday, the Dukes swept Northeastern 3-0 by sets of 25-23, 28-26 and 26-24.

Sunday, JMU swept Hofstra 3-0. The Dukes have now swept four straight matches. They play twice this week on the road, with matches at College of Charleston on Saturday and at UNCW on Sunday.

Field hockey (6-8, 2-1 CAA)

JMU field hockey lost its only match this week. Sunday, No. 4 Duke defeated the Dukes 2-0, with both goals coming in the first period. JMU outshot the Blue Devils 6-4, but only two of the Dukes’ shots were on target.

Redshirt senior goalkeeper Kyler Zampiello made two saves in the match. JMU plays twice this week at home: Friday versus Northeastern and against Saint Francis on Sunday.

Cross country

JMU cross country competed at the Penn State Open on Friday. As a squad, the Dukes finished 13th out of 16 teams, finishing with a total of 339 points.  

Six runners set personal bests for JMU. The Dukes compete next in the CAA Championship on Saturday in New Market, Virginia.

Swimming and diving

JMU swimming and diving defeated Towson 175.5-124.5 on Saturday. The Dukes were strong in freestyle events, which included a relay win and five individual victories.

Junior Faith Anderson did well on the boards, earning career-best marks in winning the 1-meter and 3-meter events. Next, JMU hosts the CAA Pod Meet on Saturday and Sunday, competing against William & Mary, Delaware and UNCW.

Men’s golf

JMU men’s golf finished 1st out of 13 teams in the Autotrader Collegiate Classic on Monday and Tuesday. The Dukes carded the second-lowest final round in the field Tuesday to win by five strokes.

It was head coach Jeff Forbes’ 14th coaching victory at JMU, making him the winningest coach in program history. The Dukes are off this week but will return to action for the Intercollegiate at Innsbrook on Oct. 28 and 29.

Contact Joshua Gingrich at gingrihj@dukes.jmu.edu. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.