JMU NOVA 46

It was a busy week for the Dukes, with several teams in action. Here’s what you may have missed.

Football (6-1, 3-0 CAA)

JMU football rallied from a fourth-quarter deficit to hand No. 5 Villanova its first loss of the season, 38-24. The Dukes entered the final quarter trailing 24-17, but a touchdown pass by redshirt senior quarterback Ben DiNucci to redshirt senior wide receiver Brandon Polk tied the game, and an 83-yard pick-six by junior safety MJ Hampton gave JMU the lead for good.

DiNucci had three passing touchdowns, which moved him into eighth place all-time at JMU with 27 career passing touchdowns. The Dukes play at William & Mary on Saturday, with kickoff set for 3:30 p.m.

Men’s soccer (9-3-1, 4-0-1 CAA)

JMU men’s soccer saw its nine-match points streak come to an end Tuesday in a 1-0 loss to Villanova. Only five of the Dukes’ 18 shots were on target, and senior forward Lewis Long IV was handed a red card in the 57th minute.

JMU got back on the right track in a 3-0 victory over Delaware on Saturday. Three Dukes — senior midfielder Manuel Ferriol, sophomore midfielder Tyler Clegg and freshman forward Dennis Mensah — scored as JMU remained unbeaten in CAA play. The Dukes play twice this week: at No. 1 Virginia on Tuesday and versus UNCW on Saturday.

Women’s soccer (5-9-1, 2-2-1 CAA)

JMU women’s soccer split its two games this week. On Thursday, the Dukes lost at Hofstra 3-1. Senior forward Haley Crawford scored the lone goal, and freshman Alexandra Blom made 10 saves in her first career start.

On Sunday, JMU won 4-0 at home versus College of Charleston. Four different Dukes scored on the afternoon in their largest margin of victory on the season. JMU plays twice this week: versus Towson on Thursday and at Elon on Sunday

Field Hockey (6-7, 2-1 CAA)

JMU field hockey won both its games this week. On Friday, the Dukes defeated Drexel, 1-0. Redshirt freshman midfielder Caroline Cahill scored her first career goal in the 53rd minute as JMU outshot the Dragons 13-4. 

On Sunday, the Dukes shut out Hofstra 4-0. Sophomore forward Ongeziwe Mali scored twice, and the Dukes now have a three-match winning streak, their longest since 2017. JMU plays at home versus Duke on Sunday, with a noon start time.

Volleyball (10-6, 4-2 CAA)

JMU volleyball won both its matches this week. Thursday, the Dukes swept Elon 3-0. Senior M’Kaela White had 13 kills, and senior Sarah Martin had 34 assists.

Saturday, JMU swept William & Mary. The Dukes play twice this week at home: versus Northeastern on Friday and against Hofstra on Sunday.

Men’s Golf

JMU men’s golf competed in the Health Plan Mountaineer Invitational on Monday and Tuesday. The Dukes finished fourth out of 15 teams. They carded the best final round in the field on Tuesday with senior Walker Cress tied for the lowest final round in the 81-player field at 69 (-3).

JMU has finished in the top five of all three of its matches this season. The Dukes play in the Autotrader Collegiate Classic on Monday and Tuesday.

Women’s Golf

JMU women’s golf competed in the Chris Bannister Golf Classic on Monday and Tuesday, finishing third out of 11 teams. Sophomore Kate Owens carded a final-round 73 (+1), which was tied for the third-lowest score of the round.

Freshman Kendall Turner came in seventh, while senior Lauren Comegys finished in sole possession of 10th. The Dukes will participate next in the Pat Bradley Invitational Oct. 20-22.

Swimming and diving (1-0, 1-0 CAA)

JMU swimming and diving opened its season with a 184-116 victory at Northeastern on Saturday. The Dukes had first-place finishes in 10 of the 16 events, including sweeps in the 1-meter and 3-meter boards.

This is the ninth straight season that JMU has started with a win. The Dukes have their first home meet of the season on Saturday when they welcome Towson at 2 p.m.

Men’s tennis

JMU men’s tennis competed in the River City Invitational over the weekend. The Dukes went 5-4 in singles matches and 5-3 in doubles on day one and 7-11 in singles and 2-0 in doubles on Saturday.

Sunday, JMU broke even in eight singles matches and 1-3 in doubles. The Dukes partake next in ITA Atlantic Regional Championships Oct. 17-22.

Contact Joshua Gingrich at gingrihj@dukes.jmu.edu. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.