jmuwm14

It was a busy week for the Dukes, with several teams playing in Harrisonburg and on the road. Here’s what you might have missed.

Men’s basketball 

JMU men’s basketball opened up its season with an 80-65 exhibition victory over Eastern Mennonite. Junior forward Zach Jacobs led the Dukes with 21 points, and junior guard Matt Lewis and junior forward Matt Lewis had double-digits in points.

Jacobs and Wilson also recorded double-digit rebounds. JMU has its first two regular season games this week: The first is at home versus Charlotte on Wednesday and the second will be on the road at defending national champion Virginia on Sunday.

Men’s soccer (10-6-2, 5-2-1 CAA)

JMU men’s soccer closed out its regular season this week with a 3-2 loss to William & Mary on Saturday. The Dukes recorded only five shots in the match, with just two of them coming on goal. Redshirt junior goalkeeper T.J. Bush made four saves.

With his goal in the 65th minute, senior midfielder Manuel Ferriol tied the program record for goals in a season (15) and broke the single-season points record (36). JMU now enters the CAA tournament as the No. 2 seed.

Women’s soccer (9-11-1, 4-4-1 CAA)

JMU women’s soccer opened up play in the CAA tournament this weekend. On Friday, the Dukes defeated UNCW 3-2. Entering the second half tied at one, JMU scored twice in the first 10 minutes of the period to take control and open up a lead the Dukes never relinquished.

On Sunday, the Dukes defeated Delaware 3-2 in overtime. Junior midfielder/forward Ebony Wiseman scored in the 89th minute to tie the match at two, and junior forward Sophie Brause scored in the 100th minute to keep JMU’s season alive. The Dukes play top-seeded Hofstra on Saturday in the CAA Championship. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.

Volleyball (15-7, 9-3 CAA)

JMU volleyball played twice this week on the road. On Friday, the Dukes lost to Towson 3-1, winning only the second set. The loss snapped JMU’s six-match winning streak.

On Saturday, the Dukes swept Delaware 3-0, avenging a 3-1 loss to the Blue Hens on Oct. 4. It was the 13th time in 22 games that JMU swept an opponent. The Dukes return to Harrisonburg for the first time in nearly three weeks, as they play at home versus Elon on Friday and against William & Mary on Sunday.

Field hockey (8-10, 3-3 CAA)

JMU field hockey split its final two matches of the regular season this week. On Friday, the Dukes defeated Towson 3-1. They outshot the Tigers 24-2, including 17-0 in the middle two quarters. Junior midfielder Rachel Yeager, sophomore forward Ongeziwe Mali and redshirt freshman midfielder all scored for JMU.

On Sunday, the Dukes lost 1-0 to No. 12 Delaware. Redshirt senior goalkeeper Kyler Zampiello registered six saves in the match. JMU will play in the CAA Championships this week. They enter the tournament as the No. 4 seed, and the Dukes will play top-seeded Delaware on Friday, with game time set for 1 p.m.

Swimming and diving (5-0, 5-0 CAA)

JMU swimming and diving competed in the CAA Pod Meet over the weekend. The Dukes competed against UNCW, Delaware and William & Mary. JMU won all three matchups, picking up at least 236 points in all three matches.

This is the first time since the 2016-17 season that the Dukes have started 5-0. JMU is off for nearly three weeks and will get back to action in the Liberty Invitational Nov. 22-24.

Women’s tennis

JMU women’s tennis closed out the fall portion of its schedule at the Furman Duals on Friday and Saturday. On day one, the Dukes won 12 of their 17 matches, including all seven individual battles. 

On day two, JMU won seven matches, and senior Jona Roka claimed a singles title. JMU will announce its spring season at a later date, which will begin in early 2020. 

Cross country

JMU cross country competed in the CAA Championships on Saturday. The Dukes finished fourth out of nine teams with a grand total of 127 points.

Junior Brooke Manion finished first among the Dukes in 18th place, and the whole team finished within 90 seconds of each other. Seven JMU runners finished with personal-bests. The Dukes compete in the NCAA Regional Championships on Nov. 15. 

Contact Joshua Gingrich at gingrihj@dukes.jmu.edu. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.