jmuvshofstra01.JPG

James Madison Dukettes pump up the crowd before the start of the game.

A handful of teams played this week for JMU Athletics. Here’s what you might have missed.

Women’s basketball

JMU women’s basketball won both its games this week. On Friday, the Dukes defeated Hofstra 92-50. Redshirt senior guard Jackie Benitez led the way for JMU with 26 points, and senior guard Kamiah Smalls and freshman Kiki Jefferson each put up 19 points. The Dukes also forced 19 turnovers.

On Sunday, JMU defeated Northeastern 67-54, with Jefferson leading the Dukes in scoring with 19 points. They’ve now won four in a row and 10 of their last 11, and the team will look to keep on rolling this week when they play at Delaware on Friday and at Drexel on Sunday.

Men’s basketball (8-12, 1-8 CAA)

JMU men’s basketball lost both its games this week, extending the Dukes’ losing streak to six. On Thursday, they lost to William & Mary 88-75, marking the eighth time this season JMU has lost by double digits. Junior guards Darius Banks and Matt Lewis each scored at least 20 points, with Banks tying a career-high with 10 made free throws. 

On Saturday, JMU lost to Elon, 82-73. The Dukes struggled with ball control, committing 13 turnovers. Lewis scored 33 points, 18 of which came from behind the three-point line. JMU will try to get off the schneid this week when it plays at home versus College of Charleston on Thursday and UNCW on Saturday.

Men’s tennis (2-1, 0-1 CAA)

JMU men’s tennis broke even in its two matches this week. On Friday, the Dukes defeated Richmond, 4-3. The Dukes and Spiders split the six single matches with senior Damon Roberts, junior Alvaro Arce and freshman Holden Koons picking up victories.

On Sunday, JMU fell to William & Mary, 6-1. Arce picked up the lone victory for the Dukes in a singles victory. The Dukes play on Saturday at UNC Asheville, with start time set for 3 p.m.

Women’s tennis (1-1)

JMU women’s tennis split its two matches on Saturday. The Dukes lost to East Carolina 4-3 in the morning. JMU picked up two victories in single matches from redshirt sophomore Kylie Moulin and sophomore Daniela Voloh, and a doubles win from Moulin and sophomore Amanda Nord.

The Dukes also swept Howard 7-0 in the afternoon. JMU plays twice this weekend in Blacksburg, Virginia; the Dukes will be against Winthrop on Saturday and versus Virginia Tech on Sunday.

Track and field

JMU track and field competed in the Liberty kickoff on Friday and Saturday. On Friday, the Dukes had four top-10 finishes in events, including three — senior Caitlin Swanson and freshmen Clare Morelli and McKenzi Watkins — in the 5,000-m race.

On day two, sophomore Anoush Stamm set the program indoor 500-m record with a time of 1:13.80. Next, JMU competes in the Penn State National Open on Friday and Saturday. 

Swimming and diving (6-0, 5-0 CAA)

JMU swimming and diving split its two matches on Saturday, defeating Campbell and falling to Liberty. The Dukes picked up seven first-place finishes and numerous top-3 finishes. Senior Bonnie Zhang won three freestyle events: the 200-m, the 100-m and the 50-m.

Junior Julianna Jones won the 1000-m freestyle and the 500-m freestyle. JMU competes next at Marshall on Saturday; the meet begins at 2 p.m.

Contact Joshua Gingrich at gingrihj@dukes.jmu.edu. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.