jmuvsyoungstowntennis01.JPG

James Madison Gonzalo Adis (left) and Holden Koons talk during their doubles match.

A handful of teams were in action this week for JMU Athletics. Here’s what you might’ve missed.

Women’s basketball (17-4, 8-2 CAA)

JMU women’s basketball won its lone game this week, dominating Towson 81-39 on Sunday. The Dukes had five players score in double-digits and were led by senior guard Kamiah Smalls with 24 points. Smalls also had 10 rebounds for JMU and moved to 10-1 at home this season.

Redshirt senior center Kayla Cooper Williams chipped in with five points and six blocked shots. The Dukes play twice this week at home: against the College of Charleston on Friday and versus UNCW on Sunday.

Men’s basketball (9-15, 2-11 CAA)

JMU men’s basketball lost both of its games this week. On Thursday, the Dukes lost 78-67 to Drexel, marking the ninth time this season the team has lost by double-digits. JMU sophomore guard Deshon Parker led the Dukes with 23 points.

On Saturday, JMU lost 80-78 to Delaware after a last-second layup by Delaware redshirt junior guard Nate Darling. Parker and junior guard Matt Lewis led the Dukes with 23 and 21 points, respectively. Next, the Dukes play at home versus Towson on Saturday; tipoff is set for 8 p.m.

Lacrosse (0-1)

For the sixth straight season, JMU lacrosse opened its season against North Carolina. The No. 2 Tar Heels emerged victorious 15-7, using two runs of at least five straight goals to create an insurmountable lead. Junior midfielder Charlotte Haggerty led the Dukes with her first career hat trick. 

Senior midfielder Maddie McDaniel didn’t score for JMU, marking the first time since May 19, 2018, that she didn’t contribute a goal. The Dukes play at home twice this week: versus No. 23 Virginia Tech on Wednesday and against Uconn on Sunday.

Swimming and diving (7-2, 5-0 CAA)

This weekend, the JMU swim team went to Blacksburg, Virginia, to compete in the Virginia Tech Invitational, while the divers stayed home for the JMU Diving Invitational. 

On day one in Blacksburg, sophomore Lauren Soleo finished eighth in the 500-meter freestyle. On day two, freshman Devan Taylor placed in the top five of the 100-meter breaststroke with a time of 1:04.57. On day three, each Duke that competed in the finals of their respective event set a new personal best. 

On day one of the JMU Diving Invitational, the Dukes dominated the 3-meter event, claiming the top four spots. On day two, JMU swept the 1-meter dive finals and had four divers finish in the top five spots. The Dukes are off this week but will return to action Feb. 19-22 at the CAA Championships in Christiansburg, Virginia.

Track and field

JMU track and field competed at both the VMI Winter Relays on Friday and Saturday and at the Skyes-Sabock Challenge on Saturday. 

At the Winter Relays, freshman Bethany Biggi finished second in the pentathlon, while sophomore Jamie Richards achieved a personal best in the weight throw. On day two, freshman Paris Beaver set a personal best in the sole field competition with a mark of 5.10 meters.

In the Skyes-Sabock Challenge, senior Jordan Bourgeois, sophomore Tess Lee and freshmen Dardlie Lefevre and Porsha Miles set a season-best time in the 4x400-m for the Dukes. JMU competes twice this week: at the David Hemery Valentine Invite on Friday and the Darius Dixon Memorial on Friday and Saturday.

Women’s tennis (4-2)

JMU women’s tennis won both its matches this week. On Saturday, the Dukes defeated Penn State, 4-2. JMU won two of the three doubles matches, with sophomore pairs Amanda Nord and Kylie Moulin and Daniela Voloh and Natalia Nikolopoulou picking up the points. The Dukes also won three of the five singles matches. 

JMU swept Georgetown 7-0 on Sunday. The Dukes play three times this week: twice on Saturday at home versus UNCG and on the road at Maryland, and on Sunday in Harrisonburg against George Washington.

Men’s tennis (3-2, 0-1 CAA)

JMU men’s tennis split its two matches this week. On Saturday, the Dukes lost to UNC Asheville 2-5. Freshman Holden Koons won the only singles match for JMU. Senior Paul Mendoza and Koons, and juniors Alvaro Arce and Gonzalo Adis picked up doubles victories for the Dukes.

On Sunday, JMU defeated Youngstown State 5-2. The Dukes swept the doubles matches and won four of the six singles matches. JMU plays at home versus VCU this week, with match time set for 3 p.m. 

Contact Joshua Gingrich at gingrihj@dukes.jmu.edu. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.