jmuvsgmu30.JPG

Head coach Sean O’Regan talks to the players during a timeout in the game against the George Mason Patriots in Harrisonburg, Va. on Sunday, Dec. 6, 2020.

Both men’s and women’s basketball were in action this week, continuing this year’s ever-changing college basketball season. Here’s what happened.

Men’s basketball (3-3)

After nearly four weeks off because of COVID-19, JMU men’s basketball returned to action with a 73-64 loss at ECU on Saturday. Senior guard Matt Lewis and freshman forward Justin Amadi were the only Dukes with at least 10 points, and the Dukes made only seven of the 28 attempted 3-pointers. JMU turned the ball over 19 times, preventing any chance of a late comeback.

On Sunday, the Dukes beat Alice Lloyd College 98-55. JMU began the game on a 10-0 run and never looked back. Lewis led all scorers with 29 points, and he made five 3-pointers. JMU won the rebounding battle 47-33 and forced 18 turnovers.

On Tuesday, JMU lost at VCU 82-81. The Dukes were down 20 with 10 minutes to go, but were able to crawl back and make it close in the final minutes. Lewis scored 21 points and came three assists shy of a triple-double, and junior guard Jalen Hodge and sophomore forward Michael Christmas each added 15.

JMU is off for the holidays and will return on Jan. 3, beginning CAA play versus Towson.

Women’s basketball (4-3)

JMU women’s basketball lost its only game this week. On Saturday, the Dukes were blown out 101-59 by No. 14 Maryland. Only two Dukes — freshman guards Peyton McDaniel and Jamia Hazell — scored in double figures as JMU shot 33% from the floor. In addition, the Dukes committed 17 turnovers with only nine assists.

JMU was also heavily outrebounded 54-36 by the Terrapins. The Dukes are off for the holidays and will return to action Jan. 1, opening CAA play against Towson.

Contact Joshua Gingrich at gingrihj@dukes.jmu.edu. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.