Lexie Barrier

JMU women's basketball junior guard Lexie Barrier led the Dukes in scoring with 20 points.

In its final road game of the regular season, JMU women’s basketball won a battle against Towson, 63-56. Sunday’s game marked the 14th time this season the Dukes held a CAA opponent under 60 points.

The Dukes were led by junior guards Lexie Barrier and Kamiah Smalls. Barrier had one of her best performances of the season, scoring 20 points on 7-of-12 shooting from the field. Smalls put up 18 on 6-of-18 shooting, most of which came in the second half — when she scored 15 points.

JMU dominated Towson on the glass, winning the rebounding battle 47-31. The plus-16 rebound margin tells a different story from when the two teams played in Harrisonburg a month ago, when it only favored the Dukes by five. Seventeen of the Dukes’ 47 rebounds were offensive, leading to 12 second-chance points.

JMU led 28-26 at halftime. The team came out and had one of its worst third quarters of the season offensively, scoring nine points and shooting just 28 percent from the field. However, the Dukes exploded in the fourth quarter, scoring 26 points on 42 percent shooting. JMU also grabbed a third of its rebounds in the period.

The Dukes, now 23-4 (15-1 CAA), will return to the Convocation Center for their final two regular season games before the CAA Tournament. JMU hosts Drexel on Thursday at 7 p.m. and Delaware on Saturday at 2 p.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more basketball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.