Aneah Young

Senior guard Aneah Young has racked up 356 points during her career as a Duke.

Senior day can range from being a great moment to a sad one for a given player. This week, JMU women’s basketball is going to have that annual experience as senior guards Logan Reynolds and Aneah Young prepare to step onto the floor of the Convocation Center one last time.

Since the 2015-16 season, Reynolds and Young have developed into key players for the Dukes. For the most part, their main focus is being strong defensive players for head coach Sean O’Regan.

“They definitely have an unselfishness in common,” O’Regan said. “They’re the last crew that has been coached by Kenny Brooks and myself, so they have been through a lot of different experiences.”

Brooks was the coach that recruited the duo to the program, but when he got an opportunity to become the head coach at Virginia Tech, O’Regan — who was a long time assistant coach under Brooks — was able to take the helm of the program. With a new leader in O’Regan, Reynolds and Young continued to grow into their roles.

Reynolds and Young have been dynamic players even though their point totals don’t necessarily show it on a consistent basis. They can come up with a key play when you least expect it, especially on the defensive side of the court.

“They’re not extremely vocal leaders — they’re selfless, they give,” O’Regan said. “They’re willing to take on any role that comes at them so they are very similar in that since. … they both have started and come off the bench at different points of their careers.”

Reynolds’ career as a point guard has been a long journey. Being a backup to Angela Mickens when she first got to the school has shown the Norton, Virginia native how to lead a team in. While Reynolds can’t think of one distinct memory that’s been her favorite over the years, the combination of all has made the journey an outstanding one.

“Hopefully, my favorite memory will be coming up in the next two weeks,” Reynolds said. “But I guess my favorite memory is just me becoming the player I am today and going through the trials and errors and failures becoming who I am because of my teammates, coaches and because of the community here.”

Logan Reynolds

Senior guard Logan Reynolds has recorded 177 steals and 325 assists during her time at JMU.

Reynolds loved playing at the Convo during her career with the Dukes. Its infectious energy brings a certain vigor to her performance that can’t be matched on the road. Statistically, she’s done more on the road, but her season high of nine assists was in the confines of the Convo.

“I’m glad the new Convo hasn’t necessarily been built yet, this is such an authentic and unique experience from other college game days I’ve been a part of,” Reynolds said. “On top of that, I don’t think that the JMU community is anything short of perfection because it’s support of  women’s athletics more than any other sports community.”

Young has the awareness of any situation on the court to be able to make defensive plays at the right time. This has made for some great memories for the program, like drawing the charge at the end of regulation against Towson in February. However, her defensive play isn’t the only thing Young is known for. She also has a unique collection away from the game.

“I kind of stole one of my sister’s hats the first time I saw it,” Young said. “I really liked it and liked how the accessory brought my outfit to life. So, I became obsessed with hats, and once I got my second hat, I knew that this was it for me and I started collecting them.”

The team has taken notice of Young’s hat collection over the years. Young’s style is something her teammates have taken notice of and have started to participate in helping with it, too.

“I’ve given her a couple of hats for her hat collection,” Reynolds said. “I think she’s stylish, and she’s on trend with everything so she has to evolve her hats too with whatever is going on at the time.”

One of the main things Reynolds and Young have done for the Dukes is share their knowledge with their teammates. As a younger teammate, junior guard Kamiah Smalls looked to them for guidance on what it means to represent the JMU program as a student athlete on and off the court over the last three years.

“Aneah is everything you can ask for in a teammate,” Smalls said. “She’s the motivational one, she’s always positive, she always has the good comments to give.”

As for Reynolds, Smalls looks to her for the ways to excel on the basketball court — the habits that need to be made on and off the court to be the best player that she can be out there.

“To me, the biggest thing that lives on from Logan is her intensity and her passion for the game,” Smalls said. “Logan goes out there on the court and gives a 135 percent no matter what condition her body is in, where her mindset is, no matter what she has going on outside of us, she literally goes out here every day and gives her it all.”

Contact Brandon Ellis ellis3bm@dukes.jmu.edu For more basketball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.

Sports has been a passion for me all my life. I've always wanted to become a sports journalist ever since I heard the legendary Stuart Scott exclaim his great catchphrases like “Booyah!” or “Cooler than the other side of the pillow.”