Women's volleyball

The Dukes travelled to Baltimore this week to participate in the Charm City Challenge against Loyola (MD), UMBC and Robert Morris. JMU won all three matches, winning both on Friday against Loyola (MD) and UMBC in four sets and sweeping Robert Morris on Saturday. With two victories on Friday, JMU head coach Lauren Steinbrecher surpassed Disa Garner for most all-time wins in program history with 158.

Friday was a dominant showing for the team. Junior outside hitter Briley Brind’Amour led JMU’s attack on the day with 28 kills against Loyola and UMBC. Junior setter Sarah Martin had a career day on Friday, tallying 81 assists. The Dukes also had eight total aces in both matches Friday.

JMU’s rugged defense was led by junior libero Sarah Driscoll and junior middle blocker M’Kaela White. Driscoll notched 35 digs on the day for the Dukes, while White notched 13 blocks.

JMU continued its Friday success into the finale of the tournament against Robert Morris. White led the team with 14 kills and four blocks against the Colonials, while Martin earned another 34 assists — making it 108 on the weekend. Driscoll and senior outside hitter Bryn Recker each had double-digit digs for the Dukes, with 16 and 13, respectively.

The Dukes held the Colonials to a .191 hitting percentage while posting a .385 percentage themselves. The Colonials were led by sophomore middle blocker Skylar Clements, who had eight kills in the contest.

With all three victories, JMU improved to 8-2 on the season. The Dukes have a week off before returning to the court in Richmond, as they face the VCU Rams on Sept. 16.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more volleyball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.