Tilbe Yaglioglu (copy)

JMU volleyball fell to Hofstra in the CAA final. The Dukes finish 22-7 (13-3 CAA).

On Thursday, JMU volleyball (10-6, 4-2 CAA) defeated Elon 3-0 (25-18, 27-25, 31-29), picking up its first win in conference play after two straight CAA losses. 

For the Dukes, senior middle blocker M’Kaela White had a team-high 13 kills and three blocks. Freshman setter Caroline Dozier contributed a team-high 12 digs and an ace, while sophomore libero Savannah Marshall had a close second with 11 digs. Freshman middle hitter Sophia Davis led the team with seven blocks on the night, and senior setter Sarah Martin had 34 assists for the Dukes. Junior defensive specialist Zarah White and Marshall both had two aces. Graduate defensive specialist Karis Beasley also had 10 digs for the Dukes.

For the Phoenix, junior setter Kodi Garcia led the way with 17 assists and one ace on the night, both team-highs. Sophomore outside hitter Leah Daniel led the team with 14 digs and three blocks, as well as 10 kills. Senior middle hitter Nori Thomas had a team-high 11 blocks for Elon. 

JMU had 45 digs compared to Elon’s 39 and 10 blocks compared to Elon’s four. JMU ended the night with 40 kills, 39 assists and a total of five aces. Elon finished with 37 assists, 43 kills and an ace.

Then, on Saturday, the Dukes defeated William & Mary 3-0 (25-16, 26-24, 27-25) to go 2-0 on the weekend.

Brind’Amour and Marshall both had 10 digs for the Dukes, and Beasley was a close second with nine. White had another 13 kills against the Tribe, and Davis was just behind her with 12 kills; Davis also had a team-high five blocks. Dozier and White both had two aces and Martin had 41 assists. Freshman setter Danielle Nathan also had 10 kills for JMU.

For the Tribe, junior opposite Kate Dedrick had 21 kills and junior middle blocker Julia Brown had six kills. Brown also led the team in blocks with five and had an ace. Freshman libero Gabi Ganley had a team-high 12 digs, and senior setter Autumn Brenner led the team with 33 assists. Sophomore outside hitter Lauren Merrill also had two aces on the night.

JMU finished with six aces compared to W&M’s four, and had 45 assists while the Tribe had 38. The Dukes finished with 47 digs, 50 kills, and a total of five blocks. The Tribe finished with 44 digs, 38 kills, and five blocks as well.

With these wins, JMU moves to 10-6 (4-2 CAA) and faces Northeastern on Friday. First serve is at 6 p.m in Godwin Hall.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more volleyball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.