JMU volleyball

Coach Steinbrecher talking to the team during a timeout.

Four JMU volleyball players and head coach Lauren Steinbrecher were chosen for Virginia Sports Information Directors honors on Thursday afternoon.

Steinbrecher was named the VaSID Coach of the Year and junior middle blocker M’Kaela White was awarded VaSID Player of the Year. Junior defensive specialist/libero Sarah Driscoll was named to the First Team All-State along with White, while senior outside hitter Bryn Recker and junior setter Sarah Martin received Second Team All-State honors.

White placed in the top 10 nationally for total blocks (172) and blocks per set (1.54), and was named to the First Team All-CAA and the CAA All-Tournament team. Driscoll registered 566 digs with double-digit digs in 28 of her 29 matches, and had the nation's 46th-best 5.05 digs per set. Recker wrapped her JMU career by hitting the 1,000 mark in both kills and digs while earning Second Team All-CAA honors. Martin led the Dukes with 1,145 assists, and took home Third Team All-CAA honors.

Steinbrecher earned her second State Coach of the Year in three years after coaching JMU to a 22-7 (13-3 CAA) season and a third-straight CAA final appearance. She became the winningest coach in program history in record time earlier this year as the Dukes won 20 games for the fourth straight season.

JMU returns Steinbrecher along with White, Driscoll and Martin next season. The Dukes will look to win its third CAA tournament championship in four seasons in 2019 after falling in the tournament finals to Hofstra in 2018.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more volleyball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.