02 Briley Brind'Amour 01.jpg (copy) (copy)

Briley Brin'Amour and the JMU volleyball team went 1-1 over the weekend.

On Friday, JMU volleyball lost to Towson 3-1, snapping its six-game win streak in the process. The Dukes shook off the loss and defeated Delaware 3-0 on Saturday. Now, they’ll come back home for Senior Weekend.

Against Towson, JMU started strong and kept within a couple of points of the Tigers at the beginning of each of the sets. Towson eventually pulled away at home to defeat JMU.

For the Dukes, senior middle blocker M’Kaela White had a team-high 15 kills while senior outside hitter Briley Brind’Amour and senior setter Sarah Martin both had nine kills. Martin also led the Dukes in assists with 35 and had an ace on the night. Sophomore libero Savannah Marshall led the Dukes with 17 digs, while freshman setter Caroline Dozier had 12 and graduate defensive specialist Karis Beasley had eight. Beasley also had an ace on the night and two assists. Freshman Sophia Davis had a team-high six blocks, while White had four and redshirt freshman outside hitter Cameryn Jones had five.

For the Tigers, senior setter Marrisa Wonders had 50 assists against the Dukes and 21 digs. Junior defensive specialist Camryn Allen and freshman defensive specialist Asia Goins both had an ace on the night. Allen also had 12 digs and four assists in the game.

Senior outside hitter Olivia Finckel had a team-high 17 kills and a team-high seven blocks for the game. Sophomore outside hitter Emily Jarome had 15 kills and an assist on the night.

JMU finished with 50 kills overall compared to Towson’s 63 and had 10 blocks compared to Towson’s seven. The Dukes finished with three aces, 45 assists and 56 digs, while the Tigers finished with two aces, 57 assists and 74 digs.

Even though JMU dropped its matchup against Towson, they quickly bounced back, finishing up its four-game road trip with a 3-0 win over the Blue Hens.

For JMU, Brind’Amour had a team-high 12 kills, and freshman outside hitter Danielle Nathan followed behind with nine kills. Brind’Amour also had six digs and an ace. Davis led the team again in blocks with eight, while Martin had five and White had four. Martin had 29 assists to lead the team, and Marshall led the team with seven digs. Dozier, Beasley and Martin all had an ace in the match.

For Delaware, senior outside hitter Maria Bellinger was all over the board and led the team in both kills with 10 and aces with three. Bellinger also had a block and four digs. Freshman setter Ezgi Basaranlar had a team-high 28 assists and six digs. 

Redshirt freshman middle blocker Julia Hayes, Bellinger and freshman middle blocker Ayala Plummer all had a team-high one block. Senior defensive specialist Andie Hanus had a team-high 16 digs, while freshman outside hitter Lani Mason and Hanus each had an assist.

Overall, the Dukes had 16 blocks compared to the Blue Hens’ two and 35 assists compared to Delaware's 30. JMU finished with 39 kills, 33 digs and three aces, while Delaware finished with 32 kills, 36 kills and three aces.

With this win, JMU moves to 15-7 (9-3 CAA) and returns home for its final home games of the season, starting with Elon on Friday. First serve is at 7 p.m in Godwin Hall.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more volleyball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.