02 Briley Brind'Amour 01.jpg (copy)

Briley Brin'Amour had 12 kills on the day.

JMU volleyball wrapped up its weekend in High Point, North Carolina, with a doubleheader against Furman and High Point. The Dukes walked away with two wins, bringing their overall record to 3-3 before their final tournament this weekend.

The team finished its game against Furman with 33 kills, eight of which came from senior outside hitter Briley Brind’Amour. She also recorded eight digs and three assists. Brind’Amour had another four kills against High Point later Saturday evening.

Sophomore defensive specialist Savannah Marshall also contributed for the Dukes, ending the first game with a total of 20 digs. The Dukes defeated Furman in three sets, with final scores of 25-21, 25-16 and 25-23. 

Furman’s senior middle blocker Lydia Morris led her team in kills with eight along with sophomore redshirt setter Katie Murphy’s 21 assists and freshman outside hitter Natalie Dunn’s 12 digs. However, it wasn’t enough to beat the Dukes. Furman finished the match with 30 kills and 21 errors, compared to the Dukes’ 39 kills and 11 errors.

Less than eight hours later, the Dukes took the court once again for their second match of the day against tournament host High Point. Continuing their strong performance from the morning, the Dukes ended the weekend with another win 3-0 (25-23, 25-16, 25-23).

Both senior middle blocker M’Kaela White and freshman middle hitter Sophia Davis had nine kills each during the second match while Marshall once again collected multiple digs, totaling 13 for the game, 33 for the day. Both White and Davis now have over 25 kills on the season, and Marshall has 87 digs this year.

High Point’s freshman outside hitter Maggie Salley was a contributor for High Point, finishing the match with nine kills, two aces and eight digs in three sets. Salley also had the help of freshman setter Maria Miggins, who had 10 assists and 10 digs — the highest for High Point in the game. JMU finished 31 kills and 46 digs compared to High Point’s 30 kills and 42 digs.

The Dukes return home for the school week before heading south to Gainesville, Florida, for the Gator Invitational. The first game is against Long Beach State University on Friday at 10 am. This tournament will be the last before JMU’s five-game homestand. 

Contact the sports desk at BreezeSports@gmail.com. For more volleyball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.