track and field

Redshirt sophomore thrower Jamie Richards gear up to throw in a meet.

JMU track & field saved its best performance for the last meet of the season at the George Mason Winter Fiesta in a one-day Saturday event. A total of nine Dukes achieved personal bests across various events at the meet. 

The first personal best of the day came from sophomore Erin Babashak in the pentathlon 800-meter race with a time of 2:37.38. Sophomore Bethany Biggi, a fellow pentathlon competitor also achieved a personal best in the pentathlon high jump at 1.61 meters and tied her personal best in the 800-meter race at 2:28.30. 

High-water marks continued to be the theme of field events for the Dukes. Sophomore pole vaulter Rachel Lloyd eclipsed her best height of the season with a vault of 3.56 meters. Freshman jumper Paige Miller set a personal best in the high jump at 1.55 meters good enough for second in her event. 

Junior thrower Jamie Richards added to JMU’s personal best prowess in the weight throw with 13.22 meters to round out the field events. On the track, more of the same individual success continued for the Dukes. 

Senior distance runner Maggie Linton finished second in the 500-meter race with a personal best time of 1:16.79. In the 800-meter race, freshman distance runner Rachel Mayberry achieved her high-water mark of the season with a time of 2:23.52. 

Fellow freshman distance runner Mary Milby was right on Mayberry’s tail in the 800-meter race and also had her best run of the season with a time of 2:26.43. To round out the triumphant day for the Dukes, freshman sprinter and jumper Maya Gary finished with a time of 27.60 in the 200-meter race to give JMU its ninth personal best of the afternoon. 

JMU looks to carry its late-season improvements into the outdoor season, which gets underway March 19-20 at High Point University in High Point, North Carolina. 

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.