JMU cross country.JPG

JMU cross country finished fourth in the 2019 CAA Championship.

JMU director of track & field and cross country Ta’ Frias announced Wednesday the 2021 indoor and outdoor Track & Field Schedule. On Saturday, the Dukes have their first meet. 

The shortened indoor schedule consists of six events, culminating in the NCAA Indoor Championships at the University of Arkansas' Randal Tyson Track Center from March 12-13. This will be the only time the Dukes travel beyond Virginia borders for a meet; the five other meets are in Virginia, including three trips to VMI starting Saturday. 

The Dukes also have trips to Liberty University for the Liberty Elite Invitational from Jan. 22-23 and to a meet hosted by George Mason University from Feb. 27-28. 

Indoor schedule:

Jan. 16: Keydet Invitational (Lexington, Va.)

Jan. 22-23: Liberty Elite Invitational (Lynchburg, Va.)

Jan. 29-30: VMI Winter Relays (Lexington, Va.)

Feb. 12-13: VMI Classic (Lexington, Va.)

Feb. 27-28: George Mason (Fairfax, Va.)

March 12-13: NCAA Indoor Championships (Fayetteville, Ark.)

The outdoor season has both more total days and events than the indoor season, starting the week after the NCAA Indoor Championships and ending Memorial Day weekend with the NCAA East Preliminary Round in Jacksonville, Florida, at Hodges Stadium, hosted by North Florida and Jacksonville Sports Authority. 

JMU hosts both the JMU Invitational on April 17, as well as the CAA Championships two weeks later, from April 30 to May 1. Prior to this, the Dukes’ outdoor season is highlighted by two early season trips in North Carolina to High Point University and to NC State, respectively. 

This is followed by four meets before the JMU Invitational, including a trip to Miami, Florida for the Hurricane Alumni Invitational in April. In totality, the Dukes have scheduled nine meets in 72 days. However, dates and meets are subject to change depending on COVID-19. 

Outdoor Schedule: 

March 19-20: High Point (High Point, Nc.)

March 26-27: Raleigh Relays (Raleigh, Nc.)

March 26-27: Richmond (Richmond, Va.)

April 2-3: Colonial Relays (Williamsburg, Va.)

April 9-10: Hurricane Alumni Invitational (Coral Gables, Fla.)

April 11: Mason Spring Invitational (Fairfax, Va.)

April 17: JMU Invitational (Harrisonburg, Va.)

April 30-May 1: CAA Championships (Harrisonburg, Va.)

May 27-30: NCAA East Preliminary Round (Jacksonville, Fla.)

Contact the sports desk at BreezeSports@gmail.com For more coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.