atlanticunionbankcenter13.JPG

The Atlantic Union Bank Center at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Va. on Wednesday, Nov 11, 2020.

The Colonial Athletic Association announced Wednesday morning that JMU will host the 2021 Hercules Tires CAA Men's Basketball Championship in the newly opened Atlantic Union Bank Center. It’ll mark the first time since 1986 that the title will be awarded at an on-campus facility.

The tournament was initially scheduled to be held at the Entertainment and Sports Arena (ESA) in Washington, D.C. for the second straight season. However, with the coronavirus pandemic, moving the tournament to a campus was in the best interest of CAA coaches, student-athletes and staff. Should the pandemic improve, the tournament will return to the ESA in 2022. 

"We are thrilled to have the support of the conference office and university presidents in hosting the 2021 CAA Men's Basketball Championship at the new Atlantic Union Bank Center," JMU Director of Athletics Jeff Bourne said to JMU Athletics. "We're looking forward to providing the league's student-athletes with an outstanding experience in our first-class facility as we bring one of the CAA's premier events to Harrisonburg.”

The tournament is scheduled to be played March 6-9. However, with the nature of the pandemic, all dates are subject to change. 

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more basketball coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.