JMU Football (copy)

Starting at the beginning of the 2019 season, JMU will sell beer at its football games.

When the JMU football team takes the field for its home opener on Sept. 7, the roster and turf won’t be the only new features at Bridgeforth Stadium. In a statement released by JMU Athletics on Thursday, JMU will start selling beer at home games next season.

In past years, the only alcohol permitted in the stadium was at the club and suite level. However, with the new rule, different areas throughout the venue will provide beer. While beer is allowed to be consumed throughout the stadium, it won’t be sold at any of the concession stands on the east side of the stadium — where the student section is located.

Aramark, JMU’s food service provider, will manage the sale of the beer and make sure that everything complies with Virginia’s ABC laws. To start, only beer will be sold on game days, but there’s a possibility of including other items as the season progresses or in future years.

Beer sales will begin right when the gates open and will be sold up until the end of the third quarter. JMU will use wristbands to help keep track of a person’s beer purchases. Guests will be able to purchase two beers per transaction and up to four during a game.

JMU officials hope that allowing the sale of beer inside Bridgeforth Stadium will prevent binge drinking at tailgates, helping keep fans in attendance safer.

The school now joins CAA counterparts Delaware, Richmond and William & Mary in selling alcohol at athletic events. As of right now, there’s no official plan to begin selling beer at other sporting events, but it’ll be evaluated at a later time.  

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more football coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.