Swim & Dive

JMU swim and dive competed in the Virginia Tech Invitational and the JMU Invitational.

JMU swimming and diving impressed at the Virginia Tech Invitational from Friday to Sunday and JMU Diving Invitational on Sunday. Sophomore Emily Gross won both events — the 1-meter and 3-meter — at the JMU Diving Invitational as the Dukes competed against George Mason, Northeastern and Towson.

Three Dukes wrapped up their seasons at the Virginia Tech Invitational as senior Kelly Long completed her JMU career with a personal record in the 200 m freestyle and a fifth-place finish in the 500 m freestyle. Freshmen Carter Roehrle and Bailey Dopfel had strong showings, as Roehrle finished sixth in the 200 m IM with a season-best time of 2:09.5, fifth in the 100 m butterfly and fourth in the 200 m butterfly.

Meanwhile, Dopfel posted a JMU personal-best time in the 400 m IM and set a new personal best in the 100 m freestyle time trial. She finished seventh in the 200 m breaststroke and also competed in the 50 m freestyle.

In the JMU Diving Invitational, the Dukes had the top-two finishers in the 3 meter final in Gross and junior Hope Byrum, who tied for first while all five JMU athletes went to the 1 meter final. Gross and sophomores Sarah Stim and Faith Anderson — who finished third and fourth, respectively — hit NCAA Zone qualifying scorers with their performances.

The Dukes look to defend their CAA title in the CAA Championships in Christiansburg, Virginia, when they resume action Feb. 20-23.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.