Sami Ullman

JMU diver Sami Ullman cheers on teammates as they compete against Marshall University on Sunday morning.

In its first meet since mid-November, JMU swim and dive defeated George Washington 192-108, tied the University of Cincinnati 150-150 and lost to Virginia Tech 192-106. The Dukes are now 7-2-1 (4-0 CAA) this season.

Junior swimmer Bonnie Zhang was the top performer for JMU as she won the 100- and 200-meter freestyle events. Senior swimmer Jillian Breeger finished first in the 50-meter freestyle with a time of 23.51. Junior swimmer Meghan Marsh finished second in the 100-meter backstroke with a time of 1:04.93, her best this season.

"Looking at the performance aspect of today, I thought our team did a great job swimming and diving while tired,” JMU head coach Dane Pedersen told JMU athletics. “At this point in the season, all teams are tired after winter training and starting a new academic semester, but the coaching staff was very happy with how the team performed.”

The Dukes will travel to Richmond next Saturday to take on the Spiders. The meet is scheduled to start at 11 a.m.

Contact the sports desk at breezesports@gmail.com. For more sports coverage, follow the sports desk on Twitter @TheBreezeSports.